Re: Armstrong Tools

To: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Subject: Re: Armstrong Tools
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 22:53:46 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Richard Beels wrote:

> Thinking of ordering the Armstring "Eliminator" ratchet set.  That's the
> one that uses a "thru" socket.  Looks like it would fit in smaller spaces
> better.   (Metric 10-19mm = $55)
>
> Also thinking of getting their box-end ratcheting wrenches.  Slim design,
> long handle, 72-teeth. (Metric 10-19mm = $165, ouch!)
>
> Anybody ever use Armstrong Tools?  These in particular?

I haven't got my matco catalog with me, but I believe armstrong tools are
listed in the matco catalog, and they are part of matco/owned by the same
company that owns matco.  matco lists armstrong for their oversized tools.
(yeah, Istr danaher owns them both).  anyhow, I'd bet the 'thru-ratchet'
is the same as matco's 'special forces' ratchet.  are the box end ratchets
the slick new ones that look like regular combo wrenches with the
ratcheting box end and open other end, or the regular double end ratchets
like you always see?  the 72 teeth sound really cool, but if they're the
first sort, skip 'em.  I'd bet they'd be copies of the matcos.  I also
lusted after a set of them and almost bought them until I saw a
(different) used set on the truck every other week.  seems the ratcheting
end gives up _real_ easy.  like "you can't do *any* breaking with them,
only light duty spin-offs".  when my matco guy comes clean and says
*anything* less tham glowing about a matco tool, well, that tool must be
worse than crap.

hth

scott