Re: Tool for a loved one

To: shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tool for a loved one
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:12:34 -0500
True but sometimes it's easier to not have to worry about having to put the
socket out of where you managed to get it in the engine bay to adjust
it....  Ever since I started Kroiling everything in the engine bay and
having a beer while it soaks, I worry a lot less about rounding and
stripping.  Best $30 I ever spent, IMO....

At 01:24 PM 11/23/99 ,  Chris Heerschap was inspired to say:

>Richard Beels wrote:
> > Well, 12 points are good for when you have a small space to work in and
> > can't swing the arm of the ratchet very far.  I use FACOM 72-tooth handles
> > and a 12-point does come in handy sometimes...  But that is about the only
> > time I use mine...
>
>How so?  A 12 point socket gives you 30 degree increments, as opposed
>to the 60 degrees of a six point... granted... but with a 72 tooth
>ratchet, you've got a five degree swing, so if the six point doesn't
>quite line up, pull it out and turn the ratchet two clicks and you've
>gone only 1/3 of the distance of the twelve point and don't have to
>worry about rounding the fastener!

Cheers!