tool talk

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: tool talk
From: charlie kish <ckish@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 08:52:04 -0800
I have been reading this thread on tools and have gotten to the point
that I would like to post these observations on my use of tools.
Craftsman tools have definitly gone through a change from the way they
feel and the way they perform over the last twenty years.  I have some
old wrenches that I much prefer today and the newer one that I have are
not the quality that they were.  I recently bought a set for home use
and the ratchet that was in the kit was junk right from the start.  Sure
they will replace it but one should put some hours on it before that
should need to be done.  Their quality is becoming equal to "China "
tools.  I say this because I work on heavy equipment daily and can use
my older tools without fail.  Newer Craftsman tools have me wearing a
path to the Sears store for replacement.
        I want to tell you folks about a Snap-On ratchet that I have.  It is a
very fine geared unit (72 teeth) stock #F878MP.  This unit has a spline
button between the head and the handle and you can push this button and
revolve the head to many different angles or once you have broken the
bolt loose you can leave the spline in the out position and use it like
you spin a wheel with the lug wrench on it.  I know that this doesn't do
much in the translation but this is a ratchet that you will go for all
the time.  It is only in 3/8 right now the 1/2 is coming soon.  Anyone
that I loan this to try, buys one and they are a Snap-On after all so
they are costly, about 100.00.  I got mine on a special 80.00, which is
still high but it paid for itself in a week at work.  I wish I would
have invented this one, but I guess that I just have to settle with
owning one.  Charlie