Enough already...how about torque wrenches?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Enough already...how about torque wrenches?
From: thom kuby <thomkuby@iwvisp.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 22:37:46 +0100
Guys,

Happy Thanksgiving.

Don't know about any of you...but I'm just about cooked on this 6 v 12 pt
socket argument.

Rather than piss and moan about this 6 v 12 thread (which HAS been
entertaining and informative)...I'd rather start a new one (now THERE's a
concept...)

Anyway gents...I'm in the market for new torque wrenches.  I say that in
plural because I think I need two...one small: for up to 75-80 ft-lbs, and
one large: for the real numbers.  Am I right to think I should split the
"weight categories" up? or do you suppose I can get away with one, VERY
GOOD torque wrench, to do everything imaginable that requires a torque
setting?

My previous Torqer was a "microtork" (or something like that-I'm not going
out to the tool cabinet to look, right now) by Craftsman, and that thing
only went up to about 80ft-lbs...which covered a fair amount of ground.  It
was a clicker and it finally died, so I need another one.  My first thought
was to go back to basics, and buy two standard beam wrenches from, again,
Sears...but I see the same thing happening that some of you do...that is,
an apparent cheapening of quality at Sears.

So, I'm all ears and open for suggestions and vendor recommendations.  I'm
not a full-time pro so Snap-On is probably overkill, unless of course they
happen to be the "only show in town".  BTW:I don't suppose this really
matters, but I'll be working on anything from old VW beetles to Porsches to
old Triumph TR3s new Hondas to large 3/4 ton pickups. (this is a typical
garage & driveway inventory for me)

Anyone?  Thanks I appreciate the input.  Great list.

Cheers
Thom Kuby