RE: variable speed moto-tool?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: variable speed moto-tool?
From: "Randall Young" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:40:54 -0800
> From:  MAKI, DON
>
> I inherited (among other tools) a Craftsman brand
> Dermal clone. It has only one speed, 28,000 rpm.
> Can I make it a variable speed by running an
> extension cord to a variable resister (read:dimmer
> switch)and then on to an outlet?

Don :

I believe the answer is Yes, Provided that it is a 'motor rated' dimmer
(like a ceiling fan speed control), not an ordinary light dimmer.  A Variac
(variable transformer), or sewing machine speed control (rheostat) should
work fine, too.

A heavy duty light dimmer _might_ work, but is likely to make the tool run
hot, and _may_ destroy itself or the tool (or both).

Randall