Re: Insulated Garage Doors

To: derek.lola@sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: Insulated Garage Doors
From: "George P. Dausch IV" <gpd4@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 19:48:38 -0500
Derek,
The problem is not the insulation/condensation, but in all probability
the lack of a vapor barrier.  The vinyl facing works, but if the edges
are not sealed, instant condensation.  Try vinyl or duct taping the inner
lip of the doors to the vinyl facing, which should keep the moisture on
the outside.
Remember that when you raise the cold outside face into the heated
ceiling, you'll still get condensation on the face, which will run over
the edge and drip down.
George

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 11:02:26 -0500 Derek Harling
<derek.lola@sympatico.ca> writes:

> My "Race Shop" in my new home is the usual 20x20 domestic garage
> dedicated to race cars and equipment [no dirty street cars allowed
> inside!].
>
> The door is a modern, painted, galvanised steel, sectional lift up -
> insulated with vinyl faced polystyrene foam blocks.
>
> On the few occasions I've open the big door in the past few months
> I've
> experienced considerable water running out - at the most
> inconvenient
> times and in the most inconvenient places - of course! At first I
> thought it was rain water collecting in the space between panels but
> it
> turns out to be condensation on the inside of the steel panels -
> [the
> cold side of the insulation]. The water collects in the channel at
> the
> bottom and empties itself when the door section goes up and over.
>
> Any suggestions to stop it or to alleviate the problem?
>
> What about some small drainage holes - if the steel is galvanised I
> shouldn't have a rust problem - right?
>
> Does anyone else have this problem?
>
> I live in the Detroit area so we have 3-4 months of winter. Maybe it
> will get better as we get the colder, drier air in winter?
>
> What say the experts?
>
> Derek

Why pay more to get Web access?