Re: Insulated Garage Doors

To: "George P. Dausch IV" <gpd4@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Insulated Garage Doors
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 22:23:44 -0500
Thx to George and all the others who replied.

As I anticipated the concensus is that it is the heated inside air
condensing water on the cool steel outer panel. Therefore tape-and-poly
sealing should be a big improvement.

The amount that would condense on the outside when the door is open, and
then drip inside, doesn't bother me too much. Right now I'm getting an
egg-cup or two from each section after say 5 days - the formed bottom of
each section [to hold the insulation slab] was holding water until it
ran over the lip when the door was opened.

I've been put off drilling holes after being told that typically these
doors have very thin, smooth galvanising [one trade name is satincoat -
to take a good paint finish] and drilling would most likely lead to
corrosion spreading under the coating and the paint. One expert did
point out that galvanised steel roofs are typically sheared and drilled,
thus exposing the un-galvanised edges - but they are, apparently,
heavily galvanised.

I let you all know how I make out.

THx again

Derek