My dealings with Sears

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: My dealings with Sears
From: Eric J Petrevich/LRM<inch@megageek.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 22:58:14 -0500
Ok since it seems that there is interest in "Customer Service" at Sears,
I'll
add my war story.

About 4 years ago, I moved into a new house.  I had two(2) Craftsman lawn
tractors.  This being the first house where I needed to do snow removal, I
figured I'd get the snowblower for one of the tractors.
I went to a Sears store and found a drone in the lawn and garden department
who
was happy to look up the number for me for the snow blower. I could get
either
one of 2 models (one for each tractor)  so I asked what each one cost. When
he
told me, I nearly fell over.
Each one was about $1200!  I asked if they were motor driven.  No.  All
they
were was a shroud, pulley, and a big blade.  I couldn't believe the cost.
Then,
on the floor, on display, were Sear's new year Lawn Tractors.  The cost of
one
of those was about $1100.  So, the tractor cost LESS then a snow blower!!
Then,
next on the floor was their "Top of the Line" walk-behind snow blower.
Motor,
TRACK driven, lights, protective plastic wind screen.  The price, $800!!!!
Then it hit me, once to have THEIR lawn tractor, you are stuck paying THEIR
prices.  This thought REALLY pissed me off.  I walked out of the store.
I send a letter to the address for the "Craftsman Club" explaining my beef.
also told them that at the current time, both tractors were for sale.
They contacted me and offered to look though their "Scratch and Dent"
stores to
see if their was a snowblower to be had for less.  They never found any.
They
also explained to me that because of the "low demand" for the snow blowers,
production cost were much higher.  I told them about their "walk-behind"
model.
I then offered the advice that if they didn't cost more than the tractors,
they
might sell more.

In the end, I sold both tractors and bought a "Hustler 270" dual-
hydrostatic
drive, ride-on w/ a cast iron, 23hp Kolher motor. I got a 6' snow blower,
6'
snow plow, 6' mower deck, custom trailer, RPPS (enclosed) for just about
$4000,
used. <Tim Allen Grunt>

Sometimes, it works in your favor.

Inch