Re: The Ideal Shop HELP 2

To: rkg@teleport.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Ideal Shop HELP 2
From: Duncan120@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 23:18:13 EST
In a message dated 12/24/99 11:34:33 AM Central Standard Time,
rkg@teleport.com writes:

<< Gee, where did you work before the IPO :-)>>

Chicago Alderman......

Anyway...... The Shop or bye bye bucks.

45 X 24 ft 2 story building with 12 foot ceilings on the lower level and 12
foot ceilings on the upper level. (I reread the dimensions this time...). It
is on a piece of property that has entrances to the ground off both levels
(cut out of a sloping piece of land).
Cinder block/brick construction with 440/230 3 ph. The property was an old
orchard and has "heavy" power throughout. So..... this is where "work" will
be done.
The lower level will house a Mill, Lathe, Drill Press, Grinder, Blasting
Cabinet, and Buffer. There is an attached shed that housed an air compressor
at one point. The above level has space for about 3 cars across and 3 cars
deep. So I'm thinking of a lift in the corner plus a separate "clean room"
for the sub assembly of engines, carbs, etc., along with a small flow bench.
Can anyone make any recommendations as to the type of equipment I should have.
I'm thinking of a Bridgeport Vertical Mill ($2500) and a South Bend 10X 24
Lathe ($1200) as the primary pieces of equipment.
My skill level in operating the equipment is almost nil ... but there are a
lot of closed factories within 20 miles and I hope that there would be some
retired machinists that would like to put in a few hours a week using my
equipment in the area in exchange for not telling me how stupid I am.....
maybe that's asking too much.
Any idea as to what I may be missing here......
As always, thanks.

<<As far as the rest of the site goes, the only other thing I could recommend
would
 be paving over a big area so you could have an autox course as well (can you
 say "Speeed Acres"...), but that ain't cheap...>>

Actually I LOVE the name idea...... can't do the autox area but I have some
old copies of "Speed" magazine from the UK and could lift the logo and make a
sign.

 Ron