Air tool mufflers

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Air tool mufflers
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 17:37:57 -0500
List,

  Sorry to break up all the wonderful discussion about colors and shop
design, but I had to pass this along before I forgot.  One of my Christmas
gifts to myself was a new 1/4" air ratchet.  Beautiful little thing, it'll
make me money at work, but with 150 PSI of shop air it's really loud.  Now
maybe everyone already does this, but just in case, I've found that a
bicycle inner tube attached over any rear exhaust air tool makes a pretty
good muffler.  It also gives me a tad more flexability in tight spaces,
since I can run a small flexible hose right up to the tool with the air
chuck connection at the end of the 3' inner tube muffler.  This keeps me
from dragging a heavy air hose up under the dash, and eliminates any
possibility of getting air tool oil on a new cars interior.  Keeps 'em nice
and quiet, and puts that cold exhaust away from your hands in the winter.

  ...We now resume our black vs. white discussion, already in progress.

Chuck Rothfuss
Pole Cat Hollow, NC