Re: tile saw at Home Depot

To: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Subject: Re: tile saw at Home Depot
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@ntplx.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 10:47:18 -0500
Jim Juhas wrote:

> Eric:
>
> I bought one of the saws I think you're talking about.  It cost about
> $100, maybe a little more, and comes with an instructional video.
>
> It works well, surprisingly well, as far as I was concerned.  It's not as
> fast as those big commercial units, but it enabled me to do the more
> elaborate cuts that I couldn't do with the score&press tile cutter.  I
> remodeled my bathroom utilizing recycled (from the same bathroom) 18"
> square glass tiles that could not be duplicated from the current
> offerings.  It even handled those.
>
> I can't remember the trade name, but email me directly if you need it and
> I'll check it tonight.
>
> JJ
>
> Eric J Russell wrote:
>
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > I find myself doing ceramic tile jobs occasionally (once or twice a
> > year). I am wondering if anyone has experience with a home-owner type
> > of 'wet saw'. I have seen this item in Home Depot (I forget the
> > price). I would appreciate your feed back if you have owned/used this
> > item.
> >
> > Generally I would rent a tool I use only once or twice in a
> > *lifetime*. If I see a need for it once or twice a *year*, I think its
> > worth owning. Is this tool more toy than tool?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Eric J Russell
> > Bridgewater, MA

Plasiplugs.  It's a plastic tablesaw with a 1/2 hp motor.  The cutting wheel
is fixed and it dips into a water reservoir.  It's not as good as a
commercial wet saw costing 5 to 10 times more but it works.  It table bed
tilts to 45 degrees allowing mitered cuts.

I tiled my counters with granite floor tiles.  I ripped strips to band the
edges.  Granite is probably the toughest tile and it did the job.  Ceramic
and marble cut like butter.

It is very messy.  Water mixed with the dust is sprayed everywhere.
Definitely an outside tool with old clothes.

Around here a wet saw rents for $50 dollars per day.  I was surprised at the
rental cost, but they factor in blade replacement.  Three days of rental and
you are ahead of the game.

Peter Thomas