Re: Tile Shop Floors?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tile Shop Floors?
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 09:31:47 -0700
I do think the "wooden garage floor violates building code"
assertion probably is valid and probably does make logical sense.

However, when I was young, I worked for GM in Flint, Michigan in
the motor plant (Plant #4 down by the Flint River on Chevrolet
Avenue). It was an enormous old plant, several thousand workers,
three eight hour shifts, an enormous amount of welding, engine
test, heat treatment of parts, smoke etc.  The entire plant had
wood block floors that resembled the ends cut off from 4x6
framing lumber.  Just wooden block with all the machinery setting
on top of it.  I think they were treated with creosote, but they
were so soaked with engine oil, hydraulic oil, grease, etc., it
was impossible to tell.

Again, I think the code against wooden floors makes sense, but in
these huge plants, with oil oozing out of every machine, welding
splatter and sparks flying everywhere, cigarettes by the thousand
being flicked on the floor, left to burn, etc., there was never a
problem with fires as far I know.  It was standard practice in
these huge GM plants for 50 years.

regards,

doug