auto darkening welding shades

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: auto darkening welding shades
From: mbarre@juno.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:55:15 -0400
After burning a couple of pounds of wire putting a new floor in my
Spitfire, I came to the conclusion that a new helmet was called for.
Northern has an autodarkening one for under $80!.  I realize this will be
a cheap plastic
helmet, but the lens is my main concern.  A net search didn't reveal
much on the technology & safety of the powered lenses.

Are these proven safe?  Does is make any difference if these low-end
versions are all coming out of China?  I don't know if the US made ones
are subject to any better inspection / standard compliance or not.

Thanks,
MRB
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.