Re: garage construction costs

To: <McVintage@aol.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: garage construction costs
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 00:50:15 -0500
From: McVintage@aol.com <McVintage@aol.com>

>Based on your vast reservoir of experience and/or knowledge
>how much would you expect to pay for this:

Construction costs vary radically by locale.  Your best bet is to put it out
for as many bids as you can.

>A 30ft by 40 ft garage

Pole barn or stick-built?

>with 2 10ft by 8 ft garage doors, 2 entry doors, 6
>single hung windows. wired to code for 120v with 4 circuits for 230v,

>stubbed in plumbing for toilet and a sink,

There's a budget item.  I work for Public Works in Saint Paul.  I know that
sewer drains can be serious, especially when you have to restore the street.
How you planning on draining this thing?  Length of service?  Elevations
available?  Don't be surprised if the sewer alone costs 5 grand.

When I built my shop, I rejected the plumbing idea.  Natural-gas lines,
electricity, doorbell, intercom, telephone are all easy to run.  Sewer has
to be deep and properly-pitched.

I just resigned myself to a hike to the house.  The good thing is that I
have a toilet in the basement, so I can go with my boots on.

Besides, if you blow 200 square feet on a bathroom, you will have no more
car space than I have in my 20 x 50.   :-)

>but otherwise unfinished (shell)
>interior with 10 ft ceiling.

So you intend to do the insulation, vapor barrier and interior paneling
yourself?  Have fun with the panel jack.  Make sure the one you rent will do
10 feet and have a really good ladder.

>8-12 roof pitch. cost to include foundation and
>about a 26 by 22ft driveway

Short driveway.  You close to an alley or something?

>on what appears to be a level part of the lot.

Appearances can be deceiving.  Get a long piece of plastic tube and start
checking it out.  I discovered I was going to have to take an extra panel
out of my driveway and pour a large ramp.  Cost me an extra 900 bucks over
bid.  And that part is still a 6% grade.

>exterior will have a premium vinyl siding to match the house it will share
>the lot with.

I have nicer-looking siding on the garage extension (white vinyl) than on
the old section (pink-painted hardboard laps) or the house (pink aluminum
siding).  Trying not to think about what it will cost to bring it all up to
the same.

>Currently negotiating construction of this beast - your insight and advice
>appreciated.

Consider drainage.  The front of my garage stands high and dry as implied
above.  The rear is concrete two courses below grade.  The property behind
me is several feet higher.  When it rained, that yard became a big sponge
and groundwater flooded the back of my shop.  A cutter mattock, a shovel, my
air-chisel, a garden cart, 50 feet of perforated 4" plastic with sock, some
heavy poly, some water-passing landscape fabric, 3 yards of river rock and
more labor than I like to remember, and now I don't get a drop of water back
there.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
"If I can do it, it's not art"  - Red Green