RE: Old Paint

To: gracious1@mcmail.com, autojumble@autox.team.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: Old Paint
From: jmark.vanscoter@amd.com
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 20:36:11 -0500
By cellulose, I take that to mean the type of paint we Yanks call lacquer?
Is it the type of paint that dries almost instantly and must be buffed to be
shiny? Or, does it dry slowly and dry with a gloss (assuming you applied it
properly)?

If it is the type the dries fast and must be buffed, it will be just fine.
This paint dries by evaporation and does not change chemical composition on
the car. You can take a cloth saturated with Xylene or lacer thinner and
wash the old paint off a car.

If it is the type that dries slowly and has a gloss, then using this old
paint is iffy. Enamel dries and harden, chemically changing its composition
as it does all this. There is a good chance that some of the dryers have
been lost.

Mark V.S. in Austin, TX