Re: a weighty question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: a weighty question
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 21:00:47 -0400
At 04:23 PM 7/10/00 -0700, Steven Shipley wrote:

>> "What do you do with the large collection of tools you have accumulated
>> over a lifetime of work when you can no longer use them?"
>>

>With money, the advice is to give with warm hands.  If it's important to
>pass the tools to your offspring, and the offspring does not appreciate
>them, sell them to someone who values them and give your children the
>money...
>

>If your desire is pass the knowledge on with the tools then you have to
>establish a relationship with the beneficiary.  In your case, a tool
>based relationship.  Determine the needs of the beneficiary and start
>using your tools and skills to meet their needs .....
>
>Give the beneficiary the knowledge with the tools.  Remember, you're
>taking care of the basic needs of the beneficiary......

>Sounds like you're the craftsman.  Have you thought about being the
>teacher?  And why restrict your gifts to your family?  Is there someone
>out who's already walking on the same path as yourself who would love your
>experience as well as your tools? .....

I have to agree with what Steve Shipley said.

Look around for some local car clubs to find an apprentice, or maybe
a local VOTECH school.  Talk to the shop teacher and find a youngster
that would be a worthy reciepient.

Another thought, before it goes to a pawn shop, etc. do you have a local
"Trading Post" newspaper - good deals?  I know many a time I wish I could
have found a nice welder or many other tools that were inexpensive.

Leave word with your Spouse - and even in you're will - that these items
that mean something to you DON'T GO to some estate sale.  I've seen a lot
of Vultures there eager to make a buck.

I know there are youngsters that would love to learn how to do thing.
It's unfortunate that in todays urban socity, that most places will NOT
let you even change your oil at your appartment, townhouse, or in your
drive way!

I got my Ham radio license when I was 13 (now 51) and started playing with
lbc when I purchased my 67 Spitfire new in 67 - I was 19.  I used to have
cars (mostly lbc) lined up in the driveway and the street at my dad's on
Sat. morning to help other kids learn how to fix them.  The point to this
is that most of this - which has made me what I am today - is almost illegal.
You can't have any outside antennas for the Ham radio, and I've already
mentioned not being able to change your oil.  No wonder there are so few
craftsman left.  The society has outlawed them!

If all else fails - you should have a knowledgeable friend that can help
your loved ones liquidate that part of your estate, if no one if the
family wants the items.

I'd rather see many of my posessions go to someone that would appreciate
them, even if it is less than 1/2 of what it is worth, than to someone
just trying to make a buck.

John

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org