Re: hot safe

To: jniolon@uss.com
Subject: Re: hot safe
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 00:37:50 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 jniolon@uss.com wrote:

> what size safe were you going to buy ???  would it be feasible to build a
> steel box.... say 1/4 or 3/8 plate...three or so inches larger than the
> safe... insert the safe with adequate standoffs and pour concrete or some
> other fire rated material around it... thereby doubling (at lease) the fire
> rating ???  ...couldn't be that expensive if the size isn't gonna kill you
> just a thought

I was thinking about doing something similar here--we have a concrete
foundation, and when I poured the new slab, I was going to add an in-floor
safe.  the dealer here talked me out of it.  he said that the safes will
eventually corrode and fall apart from contact with the concrete.  he said
they make a plastic-covered model that will slow the process a lot, but
eventually, it'll fall apart.  I didn't have a lot of time to consider it
then, but I think in retrospect I'm gonna try it anyway--even if the safe
*eventually* (50 years?) falls apart, it'll (my stuff) still be wrapped in
concrete.  if I can get some sort of inner vapor barrier it shouldn't even
get wet from moisture from the slab.

or is there a better idea?

scott