There is hope! (was welding versus brazing)

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: There is hope! (was welding versus brazing)
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 21:28:27 -0700
Shop Talkers,

Well, I actually have some rather inspiring information related
to teaching/learning the skills.  I am the "uninformed"
individual who did not know if he welded or brazed the stainless
steel fender on his BSA.

Anyway, I just came back tonight from my first session of Welding
203-A at the Los Angeles Trade-Technical College (Grand and
Washington near downtown)

http://www.lattc.cc.ca.us/

which I did not even know existed until I started looking for
some place to take a class (found it on the Internet), and it is
only about eight blocks down the street from USC!!! Amazing that
in 16 years at USC, I did not even know about this place -- shows
you that I run with the wrong crowd.  :)

I am so enthused -- regular college campus, but teaches
everything from gas and MIG/TIG welding to auto body, motorcycle
engine rebuilding, machining (CNC), metal working, diesel and
automotive repair, all the building trades, pipe fitting, etc.

They even teach baking, culinary arts, printing, computing
skills, and the letters and sciences (there were psychology
students coming into our welding lab due to room numbering mix
ups).

The shop facilities are just great (huge, clean, modern), the
students range from 18 year-olds studying cosmetology trying to
start their careers, to folks like me. I am very impressed.

My welding instructor has been teaching welding for 25 years, and
appears to really know his stuff.

The down side -- well you would think there would be one, but the
tuition is only $11 for a three hour, once a week evening class
that runs 18 weeks.  That is $11 for the entire semester (less
than $1 per session -- it costs $6 a day just to park at USC).

I'll keep you posted, but I am very excited.  There are quite a
few classes that I think I would like to take -- they have day
and evening classes and run three semester a year.

My welding class was just about filled, many of the people are
apprentices, and there were even three young women in the class.

There is hope!

doug