Re: Welding vs. Brazing was "Welding" stainless

To: Gene Merritt <merrittgene@uswest.net>
Subject: Re: Welding vs. Brazing was "Welding" stainless
From: Steven Shipley <shiples@home.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 22:21:47 -0700
Gene Merritt wrote:

> I know that kind of thing is common, and in my opinion it sucks.
>
> //soapbox on//
>
> Computers are a reality, but learning to use them does not equate to
> intelligence.
Unfortunately the metal working jobs have moved to Asia, leaving us with
the computers.  I'm not complaining, I lost my metal working job and
ended up
with better paying job making the computers run.

>  Students should learn critical thinking skills and problem
> solving, not just "computers."
You got that right

  I believe that we are whole beings, so we
> can learn more if our hands work with our minds instead of learning from a
> book.
The crafts are totally cool in that respect.  The mind, the hands, the
tools
and the materials are all variables that have to be understood to solve
the
problem.  And some of the variables really can't be well expressed in a
book.
A book learner is at a disadvantage in this situation.

But don't minimize those who can learn from a book and apply it to a
problem.
Different people learn in different ways.  When you're talking
computers,
applying book knowledge to the problem is a big advantage.  A big brain
competes well with the experienced hand in some situations.

  What better way to learn planning than risk cutting a board too short
> or welding something in the wrong spot?
>
> Besides, it seems that many people today can't even change their own oil...

It's unfortunate in my opinion, but it's a choice the individual makes.
And for
every person who can't perform a given task, it provides a job to
someone who
can perform a given task.  Masters in any trade are supported by those
who have
decided that they'd rather pay a Master for their skill.  I like the
idea that
I could probably change oil when the computing jobs move to Asia.  Now
if I
could only learn how to weld.  I've read and read and read but nothing
sticks
in my head....

Steve Shipley