Re: Funny things about tables.

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Funny things about tables.
From: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:31:18 -0600
A jillion variations on the welding table subject I'm sure.  The Vo-tech
school where I brushed up on my welding a few years ago had work tables
topped with firebrick.  When I built my own, I was delighted to find totally
smooth surfaced firebrick for only  $ .70 each . . I arranged about 30 of
them in  a rectangle and welded up an angle iron enclosure with a plate
bottom for my table top. It's a great weld surface, doesn't carry away heat,
you don't mistakenly weld your project to the surface and you can turn them
over for a new surface when they get dinged up.  I keep a few extra brick on
the top to help with lay up.    Another idea borrowed from the school is a
adjustable swing-away "leaning bar" across the front of the table . . .being
able to rest a gloved finger or two on the bar greatly helps steady your
welding hand.  There is a Colombian swivel vise on one end and a gasketed
ammunition box underneath for dry electrode storage.  It's on wheels for
easy positioning of work and for cleanup.

Tony_______________________@Sherman.Texas