Re: Dyes for leaks

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dyes for leaks
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 19:08:31 -0500
Inch,

   GM uses some that might help. ($6.50 for a bottle to treat 5 quarts of
oil)  They're readable with a black light.  Problem we've found with them is
that transmission fluid and power steering fluid seem to look exactly the
same under the black light as dyed engine oil.  I've honestly had better
luck on several customers cars just cleaning the heck out of everything with
several cans of cheap brake parts cleaner and then running the vehicle a few
"miles" on the rack to locate the leak.  If it's not leaking bad enough to
locate with that method it's probably not worth worrying about yet anyway.

Chuck Rothfuss
I start worrying when my stuff quits leaking!!
Pole Cat Hollow, NC