Re: Building Types (was - shop/slab questions)

To: Derek Harling <derek.lola@home.com>
Subject: Re: Building Types (was - shop/slab questions)
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 08:36:02 -0800
On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 11:35:02PM -0500, Derek Harling wrote:

> Pls explain the different building types you refer to -
>  - pre-engineered steel - think I understand that
>  - pole style structure - ?
>  - or one of its many derivatives - ?
>  - stick framing - ?

Stick framing is the traditional way that suburban houses are built
these days.  The walls are framed in with 2x4s or 2x6s and are
load bearing.

Pole construction is used often for barns.  There are some number of
large poles which are load bearing.  My old barn is a pole building
and has two rows of 4x4s down the middle of the building to support the roof.

The problem with the pole design IMHO is the poles- they're in the way.
In my barn there's the two rows of poles which pretty much split the barn
into two 10x60 areas and one 20x60.  That's fine for a dairy/storage
barn (which is what it was, there's still molded-in feed troughs), but
it makes it more difficult to lay out a car shop since you can't fit
the cars around the poles.

--
  Eric Murray           Consulting Security Architect         SecureDesign LLC
  http://www.securedesignllc.com                            PGP keyid:E03F65E5