Re: Building Types (was - shop/slab questions)

To: "Shop-Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Building Types (was - shop/slab questions)
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 12:39:38 -0500
That is no longer true. I have never seen a pole barn built around here that has
center poles - they are all constructed with regular truss spans of 40-60' or
more.

For an example of one under construction at a friend's place, go to:
<http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=209554&a=10013485>

Mike

Eric Murray wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 11:35:02PM -0500, Derek Harling wrote:
> >
> > Pls explain the different building types you refer to -
> >  - pre-engineered steel - think I understand that
> >  - pole style structure - ?
> >  - or one of its many derivatives - ?
> >  - stick framing - ?
>
> Stick framing is the traditional way that suburban houses are built
> these days.  The walls are framed in with 2x4s or 2x6s and are
> load bearing.
>
> Pole construction is used often for barns.  There are some number of
> large poles which are load bearing.  My old barn is a pole building
> and has two rows of 4x4s down the middle of the building to support the roof.
>
> The problem with the pole design IMHO is the poles- they're in the way.
> In my barn there's the two rows of poles which pretty much split the barn
> into two 10x60 areas and one 20x60.  That's fine for a dairy/storage
> barn (which is what it was, there's still molded-in feed troughs), but
> it makes it more difficult to lay out a car shop since you can't fit
> the cars around the poles.
>
> --
>   Eric Murray           Consulting Security Architect         SecureDesign LLC
>   http://www.securedesignllc.com                            PGP keyid:E03F65E5

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
(msloane@att.net)
<http://home.att.net/~msloane>

A man may be very industrious, and yet not spend his time well. There is no
more fatal blunderer than he who consumes the greater part of life getting
his living. -Henry David Thoreau, naturalist and author (1817-1862)