Re: Small Parts Washer??

To: Bruce Hestand <bhestand@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Small Parts Washer??
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:20:39 -0500
Bruce Hestand wrote:
> I'm starting a car restoration and need a convenient parts washer.  I don't
> expect to use it very often once I've cleaned some basic smaller parts
> (carb, brake/clutch cylinders, calipers??) so price is one issue as well as
> the fact I'd like to be able to pack it easily out of the way except for
> occasional future use.

  In the REALLY low end department, I have a product
called "the washboard". I bought it at Canadian Tire, likely
walmart had it too. It's marketed to cyclists as
well for bike work.

  It's actually pretty good; but it's all plastic so you
can only use certain solvents. I use castrol
super clean, diluted according to the bottle something
like 8:1, and I keep a spray bottle of pure super clean
handy for direct application.

  The "washboard" has a flip up top and a sink in it. It
has an air pump so you pump the thing with the
handle and solvent comes up and fills the sink. It has
a squeeze-to-pump spray nozzle as well.

  So basically, you pump solvent up into the sink,
wash your parts, then open the drain, let it empty
into the reservoir, close the drain and put it back
on the shelf.

  It's definately low end but it is useful for
the price, and totally self contained, totally
out of the way when done.

  I think it was about $30. Cheap.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.