Re: Flooring?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flooring?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:36:16 -0500
At 11:55 AM 1/4/01 -0700, Mark J Bradakis wrote:

>My wife is making noises about this being the year we finally replace some
>aging carpet in a couple of rooms with ???  One option is installing some
>laminated hardwood flooring, like Pergo.  Does anyone have some experience
>with this?  Would taking on a task like this make my life a living hell?
>Or will it be pretty easy, and a good excuse to buy some more power tools?

Mark,

  I haven't done the Pergo thing, but several years ago I did do my living
room, dining room, and entry way hall in "hardwood".  I used wood about 9/16"
thick.  It was quite a bit more expensive than the carpet though.

  The way I did it was:

1. Since I use 9/16" hard wood, it was suggested that I lay another sub
   floor of about 3/4" on top of the existing - to give a lot more stability
   to the floor.  Also with the 9/16" it was suggesed that it be glued
   instead of nailed.

2. Started at the far end of the living room (away from the common entry
   way hall).  Set the 1st board down.  Then measured the next board to fit,
   leaving about 1/2" at each end (by the walls).  I cut the 2nd board, then
   used the reaming part for the 1st board on the next row.  Continued this
   until I have the entire room done.  I cut the boards using a table saw,
   but a good power cut off or miter saw would work.

3. Then I started picking up the boards, most reciently layed first (LIFO).
   As I did this, I numbered each board, and drew a map of what board was
   where.

4. Once all the boards were up, I started laying them back down again -
   from the far wall again - on the glue.  I only put a few inches of glue
   down at a time.

5. Followed this procedure on the dinning room floor next.

6. Finally finished up with the entry way hall and mating to the other 2
   rooms.

It was pretty easy, just time consuming.  However, I must admitt I don't
know how much space you are supposed to leave between the boards.  I butted
them up against each other with a scrap piece of 2x4" and a hammer.  After
the floor had been down for a couple of years, I end up with it buckeling
in the entry way.  Eventually I could not get the front door open so I had
to take a saber saw and cut along the seam in the buckle and remove a board.
Still haven't tried to go back and fix that yet.

Good luck.

John

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org