RE: conversion from 3-phase

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: conversion from 3-phase
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:23:32 -0800
Stan :

Might be cheaper/easier to find a small 110-220 autotransformer to power the
contactor coil.  They are commonly sold to people trying to run US
appliances overseas and vice-versa.  A small isolation transformer, like
those used when troubleshooting 'live chassis' televisions, would also work
(properly wired).

Don't forget to consider how you are going to reverse your new motor.  Most
single-phase motors will not reverse under load ...

Randall

Stan Fickes wrote :

> I am converting a lathe from 3-phase to single phase. I have replaced the
> 3/4 HP motor with a single phase motor, but am scratching my head over the
> solenoid (contactor?) in the power switching circuit. It's apparent to me
> that I cannot just use the existing contactor, as the coil requires 208
> volts instead of the 110 for the new motor. So, should I buy a
> new 110 volt
> contactor, or is there a better (cheaper) way to switch power?

///
///