Small parts storage

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Small parts storage
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 09:51:13 -0800
Hi guys,

I forgot to mention that my wife bought me a stacking set of
three trays that fit inside a large (2 lb?) coffee can.  I think
she got them from Bucket Boss, but I am not sure. They are great,
though.

They each are 6" diameter and 2" deep.  Each tray has four
"pockets."   They are shallow enough that you don't have to dump
them out to dig through them, they swivel inside the can so you
can turn them around to check through each pocket, and have a
little pull handle in the center for pulling them out of the
can.  Because they fit inside the coffee can, they can be closed
up and kept clean, dry, rust free, etc. I know this description
does not do it justice, but it is a very simple idea.

You also can easily take the can to where you are working and
pick through the screws/nuts/etc. where you need them.

I use these trays for all my nuts, bolts and washers that I have
stripped off machines, odds and ends, etc., and then use the
large nut and bolt case I got from McMaster for all the new nuts
and bolts.

I have struggled with the nut and bolt storage problem (it is not
the storage, so much, as it is the time it takes to locate
something once you need it) for 20 years, and I finally feel like
I have mastered it.

I now can find, or know that I don't have something, in a matter
of minutes without dumping out all those cans on the workbench,
searching through junk for 45 minutes before I decide that I
don't have it anyway.

Life is a little more enjoyable and jobs move much faster now
that I organized the nut and bolt issue.  I am not an organized
person by nature, so this was a big move for me.  :)

doug

///
///