Re: fixing sealed double-paned windows

To: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Subject: Re: fixing sealed double-paned windows
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:45:20 -0800
Boy, as my house hits 20 years old and the warranty on these d**n things
expires they are all starting to go.  I've got four that have completely
failed now, and the word is replacement is the only solution.  $$$$$

I'm thinking of throwing some baseballs through some of them to get some
insurance help on this!  The only way they could be fixed is to cut the
glass off the frame (90% chance you will break the glass), remove the
desiccant inside the frame and replace it, and then try to re seal the
edge with something that is not permeable to water vapor, which lets
out silicon caulks.  A virtually impossible task.

I don't think that there is any way around total replacement as the only
realistic fix.
--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1
'65 MGB (Daily driver since 1969)
'74 MGB GT (Restoring sloooowly)

Assisting on Restoration (and spending OPM):
'72 MGB GT (Daughter's)
'64 MGB (Son's)

Stripped and gone but their parts live on:
'68 MGB, '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT

///
///