Re: Bird Control AKA Criterially Related Question...

To: <BSHolden@aol.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bird Control AKA Criterially Related Question...
From: "Stan Fickes" <fickes@acm.org>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 20:39:01 -0400
I had a two-pronged attack with my barn (roughly same plan, but twice the
height), which had pigeons, has starlings (temporarily) and swallows
(permanently, with a little luck).

First, I had to find the nesting sites and make them inaccessible or
unappealing. I put chicken wire over vents (which led to starlings -- I'll
replace it with hardware cloth this year) and replaced or boarded over
broken windows. Whenever I found a pigeon in the barn, I killed it.

Second, I bought a CO2 BB gun. It won't hurt the wood sides or tin roof, but
a few hits will disable a pigeon sufficiently that I can finish the job
quickly.

It took about a year to convince the pigeons that it's just not worth even
landing on my barn. Now I fire off about 10 shots a month, and almost never
hit a bird. That's a skill and accuracy problem, not deliberate. :) The
pigeons stay away, the starlings are wary, and the swallows are good for the
barn and therefore never harmed. Since the swallows nest later than the
starlings, I can remove the window covers when they arrive.

Hope that's helpful...
sf