Re: Finding a vacuum leak

To: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Subject: Re: Finding a vacuum leak
From: Martin <martin@virtual-motors.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 20:09:55 -0500
IMHO trying to salvage 14 year old vacuum line is false economy  in both time
and
money. Replacing ALL the vacuum lines will cost you less than five dollars in
parts and take less time than finding one leak. You may find only one line leaks
this week only to have the same symptoms reoccur next week and have to spend
several hours finding another leak. I think  shotgun replacement of all the
vacuum lines is cheap insurance, not overly expensive and will save time in the
long run. It may not fix all the leaks but you will find yourself chasing your
tail if you don't start by replacing the vacuum lines wholesale.  I' guess I'm a
coward. I would prefer wasting $4.50 to replace 50 cents worth of bad vacuum
line
to putting my head under the hood of a hot engine and spraying propane about.
There is in all probability more than one leak. I'll bet at least one will be a
vacuum line. Driving on 14 year old tires isn't safe even if they hold air and
don't leak. My every-day driver is a one owner (my wife) 76 Olds with 410,000
miles on the original unoverhauled engine. It doesn't break down. I have wasted
tens of dollars on replacement vacuum line on this car over the last 25 years.
If
this is stupid and wasteful I plead guilty.

Stuart MacMillan wrote:

> I've use the propane method many times, and I've only gotten a few
> "pops" when it pools someplace and decides to go off.  Just a little
> flow from your unlit torch is enough, and only test small areas before
> stopping to let the gas dissipate.
>
> It is not always vacuum lines that are the culprits.  I've found intake
> gasket  leaks, cracked intake manifolds and carbs, and worn throttle
> shafts causing leaks.
>
> It's best to find and fix what is broken, IMHO, shotgun repairs get
> expensive and don't always fix the problem.
> --
> Stuart MacMillan
> Seattle
>
> '84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1
> '65 MGB (Daily driver since 1969)
> '74 MGB GT (Restoring sloooowly)
>
> Personal mechanic for:
> '70 MGB GT (Daughter's)
>
> Assisting on Restoration (and spending OPM):
> '72 MGB GT (Was daughter's, now son's)
> '64 MGB (Son's)
>
> Stripped and gone but their parts live on:
> '68 MGB, '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT

///