Re: Sand-blasting and lead loading

To: Eugene D Abbondelo <eabb@loc.gov>
Subject: Re: Sand-blasting and lead loading
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 08:43:33 -0700
Eugene D Abbondelo wrote:

> Firstly, a while back there were some recommendations on pressurized
> sand-blasting units (like TIP and Eastwood) sell  Not the cabinets,
> just the portable pressurized units.  At the time I wasn't in the
> market for one, but now I am.  Does anyone remember the particular
> recommendations given?

Hi Gene,

I am not an expert on this subject, but about 5 years ago, I did
buy a TIP SP70 blaster. It is a very high quality unit, I have
not had to service or repair anything, and it works like a
champ.  It will work with a normal "5-6" HP single stage air
compressor (though it works them pretty hard), holds about 70 lbs
of sand (this capacity is on the lower-end of professional
units), is very easy to fill and use.  It is quite narrow and
tall, so it is easy to move around and get close to your work.

I checked the TIP site, and they no longer are listed, so I
called and found that Truman (the company that made the blasters
for TIP), is now selling them on their own.

Their page is:

http://sanblast.com/

and the page for the actual unit I bought is:
http://merchant.cboss.com/ProductDetail.asp?ID=00118JUIQRPTXNFMDNGSUZYTMNTKWTEZQDCCUIYMCMNXXCRQFW&CategoryID=3433&ProductID=10257

It lists for $379, but I bought it on sale for $299.  If you had
to pay the full $379 for it, you might want to look at the 99-s.
It basically is the same blaster with a slightly larger tank (90
lbs) for $399, though by the time I run through a tank of sand on
the 70-s, I am more than ready to take off the hood. I think one
may want a larger tank if you are paying someone else to run it.
:)

One feature that I think separates these Truman blasters from the
cheaper models is the method for filling.  The entire top of the
tank is concave like a funnel, and one can very simply pour sand
into the tank.  The cap is not threaded, but rather is a T-handle
on a steel disc with a rubber seal.  When you pressure up the
blaster, the air pressure holds the seal in place.  This is much,
much nicer than the threaded openings that get sand and grit in
them so that you cannot close them.  The Truman approach also
cannot ever wear out or jam like a conventional screw in seal.

The gun on these blasters also is very friendly to use.  It works
about like a paint sprayer, is a one-hand operation and is very
easy to control, unlike the two-hand guns found on many units.

They also have a 90-day no risk trial.  If you are not happy, you
can send it back with not questions asked (I have not needed to
test this, though).

Four things I have bought for my shop over the years that have
changed the way I work are: 5 HP compressor, 30 gallon parts
washer, oxy-acetylene torch and this pressure blaster.

doug

///