OT: Pergo flooring

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: OT: Pergo flooring
From: "Rex Burkheimer - WM" <rex@txol.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 13:36:17 -0500
This is off the list's normal topics, but since you guys collectively know
all there is to know, I'd like to impose on you again:

I am buying a house later this month. First thing to go is the old carpet.
We want to install Pergo or similar wood flooring in the living room, which
is a nice rectangular 14 x 29, with only a hearth intruding on that. There
are 2 doors, one leading into carpet, the other into tile.

Installation looks to be pretty simple. Apparently you can either glue it
down (I'd rather not) or just let it float.
I am pretty good with tools, but mostly of the automotive variety, with some
machining.
Any reason a rank amateur shouldn't attempt this?
Any pitfalls or tips to offer?  Anecdotes, experiences etc welcome.
Recommended tools?
Other materials needed or recommended?
Any websites that would be helpful?

Any other mailing lists that are appropriate? I'm on the homerepair
newsgroup.

Can pay for advice with automotive and parts information as needed :)

Thanks in advance

Rex Burkheimer
Parts Plus Marketing Director  WM Automotive Whse., Fort Worth TX

///