Re: Welding queries

To: "Eugene D Abbondelo" <eabb@loc.gov>, Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Welding queries
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:47:16 -0500
At 10:36 AM 8/20/2001 -0400, Eugene D Abbondelo wrote:

>If I do go with an arc welder or mig welder, what
>manufacturers/models does the list recommend?

I have a Lincoln 155 MIG welder. If I had to buy a new welder I would
probably buy another Lincoln but I would make sure I got one with a
continuously variable power setting. Some models (like my 155) have 5 or 6
discrete power settings while others are continuously variable.

Miller also has a good reputation. I have a Miller plasma cutter which cuts
through steel ("I can't believe it's not butter) like, um, butter... ;{)

>Finally, again, Eastwood has a small Lincoln stick welder (AC-100)
>that, with the purchase of the optional "stitch welder" they claim
>sheet metal as thin as 22 gauge can be welded.  Has anyone used one of
>these with success?  What is a "stitch welder"

I have an Eastwood stitch welder. It is basically a welding rod (stick)
holder with a built  in vibrator (it's a solenoid) that is supposed to make
it easier to weld thin sheet metal with an arc welder. It was cheap but
since I was never able to get satisfactory results with it I don't think it
was worth the money.

Eastwood also sells a spot welder attachment that uses a consumable copper
coated carbon rod. Unlike the stitch welder attachment (which appears to
come from the same manufacturer) this device works pretty well.

J.C. Whitney sells both of these devices and is probably cheaper than
Eastwood. Heck, if you really want to buy a stitch welder I'll sell you
mine cheap. ;{)

-Erik

--
Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com

///