Re: PVC for air lines (was: Setting up air lines in the shop)

To: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>,
Subject: Re: PVC for air lines (was: Setting up air lines in the shop)
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:54:11 -0700
Scott Hall wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Rex Burkheimer - WM wrote:
>
> > > It's simple pV = nRT
> >
> > Well, sure, but plug in typical numbers for a 150 psi small shop compressor
> > and tell me what values would present an outlet T of 450 degrees??
> >
> > I bet it's well outside the normal operating range, unless you are running
> > the pump with a turbine engine :)
>
> I remember doug shook (I think) posting that he'd had to silver solder the
> first few joints of his pump-to-tank radiator because the regular solder
> kept melting.
>
> scott

Hi,

Sorry to get in on this late.  Yes, that was me.  I had
made a 5 tube "radiator" out of 3/4" copper, and plumbed
it between the head output and the tank input thinking
that would be the hottest air and I would cool it before
it was pumped into the tank.

It worked great, it pulled out so much heat that it melted
the first soldered joint and blew out the pipe while I was
sandblasting (this was rather startling as I was bent over
and intensely focused on the part)...

Trust me, is was a melted joint, not a fractured one.
There was solder splatter everywhere, pipe was blown
apart, but intact and the joint was clean (de-soldered).
Air leaving an air compressor pump cylinder head is hot
enough to melt normal solder.  This was on a typical 5HP
single stage CH compressor.

As Scott said, after someone on the list suggested a
high-temperature silver solder, I have had no problems
(just re-soldered the first two joints).

doug

///