Re: Enclosed Trailers

To: "Lee S. Mairs" <lmairs@cox.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Enclosed Trailers
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 10:39:16 -0400
I don't know about the towing capabilities of your Nissan SUV, but I otherwise
did a very similar thing.  I bought a Wells Cargo 18' by 7' enclosed trailer
last
October in Connecticut for $4000.  It's a 1999 model.  It serves as winter
storage for my wife's Sprite, and was specifically used to bring back my FFR
Cobra from the Wareham, MA to Cheshire, CT.  About 200 miles.  But my towing
vehicle is a 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9l motor.  I set it up with an
equalizing hitch, which really makes travel more pleasant.  More power than a
Nissan SUV perhaps, but probably not a lot more.  This trailer has a 7200 GVWR,
and I was no where near that.  Figure your AH at 2300 lbs. maybe?  Plus trailer
weight could move that to 3500 lbs.  I'll bet your trailer capacity per the
factory is at least 5000 lbs.

I used to tow a 1972 Skamper camp trailer, 20' and lots of weight, with my 6
cylinder 150hp F150 pickup, manual transmission.  It was slow to get going, but
still pulled and tracked fine.  I expect based on my experience, you would be
fine with your combination.

"Lee S. Mairs" wrote:

> I want an enclosed trailer to:
> (1) help move 35 years of "stuff" 200 miles to West By God Virginia,
> (2) to move my restored 1962 Austin Healey down three miles of gravel road
> from the new place to paved roads, and (3)to provide safe storage for the
> Healey until I can get a decent shop/garage constructed.
>
> I've been considering a Wells Cargo 14 foot by 7 foot Landscape Trailer.
>
> Question is can my 1998 Nissan Pathfinder SUV with AT handle the load?  I
> suspect that an ATF cooler will be required.  Anything else?
>
> Does the list have any cautions/comments/ideas?  Specifically, is this a
> really dumb idea?
>
> BTW, how come you never see any used enclosed trailers for sale?
> Lee Mairs, Northern Virginia

///