Re: Grade 8 vrs 5 confusion

To: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Grade 8 vrs 5 confusion
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:24:29 -0400
> answer.  And that would be to my Carroll Smith book about
> automotive fasteners (don't remember the exact title).  It's in the
> bookstores in the automotive section.  Whatever his answer would
> be, that would be my answer.

Agreed, except that in Engineer to Win Carroll makes more of a point at
super high tensile strength bolts rather than the more common types we tend
to work with.  The graphs and charts only discuss SPS and ARP type bolts,
with little information about Grade2/5/8... and infact no reference to it at
all.  However, the basic information about brittleness and ductilability
would still apply.

I think he may have gone into a bit more depth in Tune to Win about bolts...
I can not recall.

Kai

///