Re: "Extreme Garages"

To: epetrevich@relavis.com
Subject: Re: "Extreme Garages"
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:20:24 -0700
On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 12:47:46PM -0400, epetrevich@relavis.com wrote:

> This past weekend, HGTV did a show called "Extreme Garages."  I
> "replayed-tved" the show in hope to catch some great garages.  The show as
> a TOTAL disappointment.
>
> While most "garages" were nice, they we NOT Garages.  They were just well
> decorated wherehouses for awesome car collections.  NOT ONE of the garages
> were suitable for turning a wrench on a car.

One guy who did vintage racing had a reasonable set of tools and
a lift.   It was the guy in Chicago who's wife was getting
into vintage racing.
One other guy had a lift with some horrible Boyd Coddington
monstrosity on it, but they didn't show tools.

I wouldn't be suprised of some of them did have decent tools
but the show didn't show those parts, just the showplace display garages.

> Hopefully, another channel will do a special on WORKING garages.

I doubt HGTV will.
As much as you and I would think it's cool, we're
in a small minority.  Most people dont work on cars or bikes
and few of those do anything more than change their oil.

If you have ever watched "Extreme Homes", most of the homes
featured are built by/for people with too much money, a distinct
lack of taste, and a strong desire to display same.
Some of the houses are cool, but most make me yell at
the TV: "you have NO taste and WAY too much money".
My wife finds this amusing.

> I want to
> see creative ideas on how to use space, work more effectively, etc.  Not
> just a bunch of bozos that paid $100,000's to architects and contractors to

Millions more likely.

> build them a space to park cars in.

There's a couple other shows on the high numbered channels which
have real people working on real cars-- one muscle car thing, and
one NASCAR one.  NASCAR bores me to tears, but the building
of the cars is interesting.

A suitably equipped NASCAR facility minus most of the CNC machines
probably costs less than the "Garage Mahals" in the show.

Eric

///