Re: New Subject ( wasn't anything)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Subject ( wasn't anything)
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 06:59:08 -0400
Unlike most of the other list members, my "shop" is a 24x48 two story barn that
I built in the 1970's, and it is used mostly for working on or restoring my
older farm tractors plus the usual rural homeowner stuff.

But the important thing is that, like Keith, I spend many weekend hours out
there, working with my hands (and even my mind sometimes) and getting away from
the rest of the week's problems and difficulties. I think if it weren't for the
shop and my old machinery, I would be going to therapists and taking a lot of
pills.

By the way, the reasons that I stay with this list (in addition to the antique
tractor lists) is that there are many similarities between older tractors and
British cars of the '50s and '60s, especially the electrical systems. Since I
used to operate a "foreign car" repair shop in that time, I can sometime
provide
some tips based on my experiences from AC Aceca's to Zenith carburetors.

Mike

Keith Turk wrote:

>     Good to see such a nice class of folks here....  Okay so what do you all
> do with these shops that you are all so fascinated with?
>
>     I know for me I had a problem with varied interests when I built my
> shop...  Cars / Wood / Metal./ Paint....  it was really hard to define what
> the ultimate shop looked like....it's been a series of changes that have
> helped define what I ended up with...
>
>     The one single thing my shop did for me was finally give me that piece
> of this earth that was MINE.... and I have found many hours of solitude in
> it....

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
(msloane@att.net)
<http://home.att.net/~msloane>
<http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=204428>

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve
the quality of life, please press 3." --Alice Kahn

///