RE: New Subject ( wasn't anything)

To: msloane@att.net
Subject: RE: New Subject ( wasn't anything)
From: jmark.vanscoter@amd.com
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:39:16 -0500
Well, let the nitpicking begin...

As I understand it, initially there was the TE20 models. These where made in
England with the continental. (The "E" in TE20 stands for England or Europe,
depending on who you speak to.)

Then Ferguson wanted to enter the NA market. So, he made arrangements over here
and started to build the TO20 ("O" = Overseas). They were the same as the
English models except they used Delco electrics and other domestic parts
instead of Lucas, etc. The American models also always had a cast iron trans
housing. The early English models had the aluminum trans housing (like mine
does).

Later, the arrangement was made with Standard to build the tractors using a
version of the Standard engine. That model is the TEA20.

If you go to the website you mentioned, and click on the serial number guide,
then Fergusen, you can see that the TO20 models started in 1948 (these are the
US models). The TE20 models started in 1946, in England.

For more verification quickly, check out:
http://members.tripod.com/~fergusonpage/history.html where it says:
"The first was the TE-20 (TO-20 in USA). Over 500,000 TE20s were built from
1946-56 in the UK, while some 60,000 TO20s were built in the US during 1948-51."

Or http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/9828/
Where it states:
"The moment Ford Motor Co. started to sell it's tractor, model 8N, Harry
Ferguson riposted first, in persuing Ford Motors Co. and associates for an
amount of 340,000,000$ second, in negotiating with Standard Motors Co. for them
to produce his tractor, model TE20 (Tractor England). That model was similar to
Ford tractors models 9N and 2N. Nevertheless, it was different from Ford
tractor, model 9N, because it had a four-speed gearbox, an overhead valves
motor, two foot break pedals (right and left) in the left side and a one-piece
hood.

Harry Ferguson drove the serial # 1 tractor, model TO20 (Tractor Oversea),
built in Detroit, in 1948. Tractors model TO20 and TE20 were identical except
for electrical system and transmission case. Tractor model TO20 had a Delco
electrical system and a cast iron transmission case whereas tractor model TE20
had a Lucas electrical system and an aluminium transmission case."

Are you convinced yet? Are you ready to cry "Uncle!" <VBG>

Mark V.S. in Austin, TX