Re: building a shop - radiant heat

To: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Subject: Re: building a shop - radiant heat
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:38:38 -0700
On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 02:59:33PM -0400, Mike Sloane wrote:

> There was some lengthy discussions about the subject on either this or
> the Antique Tractor list last year. It seems to me that the problems you
> may encounter are with corrosion of the pipe in the concrete, but I
> cannot recall the details nor what the solution was. Other than that,
> the application is basically sound.

Nowadays, they use plastic (probably polyethlyne) tubes.
Old Eichlers in Palo Alto used galvanized pipes, with predictble
results.  Or they uses copper pipes, and failed to protect them from
the concrete and the lime oxidized them.

Not too long ago I saw some poly flor-heating tubes in the middle
of construction at a winery in Napa.  They use styrofoam as a base
and as spacers to hold the tubes apart.  then put the flooring on top.

Dunno how well that would work for a shop that will have heavy cars and
machine tools on its floor.

Eric

///