Re: building a shop - radiant heat

To: "Shop" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: building a shop - radiant heat
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:50:46 -0700
Phil Ethier wrote:

> I keep hearing that forced-air is "drier", but I don't see how.

I don't know, but I can think of three reasons this might be sorta true:

1) The heated air coming out of the vents is warmer than the room air,
hence it's relative humidity is lower than the cooler room air.

2) Many forced air systems draw combustion air from the heated space,
then vent it outdoors.  This forces outside air to be drawn in, which
generally has a lower absolute humidity (since the inside air gets
dampened by people breathing, etc.)

3) The air movement itself will increase evaporation from human skin.

A fourth (bonus) : For some reason, all the homes I've visited that were
uncomfortably warm (to me) had forced-air heat.  I'm not sure why this
is, except that my wife used to complain that the drafts made her back
hurt, and keeping the house hot made it feel better.  And of course,
more heat means lower relative humidity.

Randall

///