Re: Compound miter saw size question

To: noemi@nebcom.com
Subject: Re: Compound miter saw size question
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 17:26:14 EDT
Noemi started the thread with:
> I'm looking to get a sliding compound miter saw
>
> Here's my question: Is there any *dis*advantage to a 12" over a 10"
> compound miter saw?
>
> I know a 12" saw will make wider cuts than a 10" saw, and I believe
> it does everything a 10" saw does.  So is there any reason to consider
> a 10" saw at all?  (aside from the $50-$100 cost savings.)

That $50-100 is a pretty good reason...
But shouldn't be the only factor.

Obvious question is whether or not you'll ever deal with things
big enough that only the 12" saw can handle.  Remember, it will
only do 1" deeper cuts (not 2" as the quick numbers would imply).
And a sliding unit should help for wide flat boards to be cut.
Some steeper angles may get a bit more benefit, but that's
advanced math.  :-)

I have a 10+ year old Delta 8 1/4" compound saw (no sliding).  It
has served well, with only a few times having issues with things
which are too big.  Having a solid table, nice fence, and good
stops will make any of these easier to use (unfortunately, I'm
guilty of not having those myself).

With that said, I'd look to a 10" myself for a new purchase.

One factor to consider is the intimidation factor as you place
fingers teasingly close to the spinning blade.  Either can certainly
cut you, but my comfort factor is much less with the 12" units.  (Fear
is a good thing to protect fingers, but best in moderate levels.)

See if you can find a shop with units set up so you can make a
few cuts.  Comfort and confidence are big factors.

Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com

///