RE: Drilling Metal

To: Brian Reynolds <reynolds@ll.mit.edu>, Steven Shipley
Subject: RE: Drilling Metal
From: "Madurski, Ronald M." <RONALD.M.MADURSKI@saic.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 17:40:39 -0500
> Regarding sharpening drill bits,
> Machinists have told me that it is an art. Some people can do
> it, some can't.

I can't agree more on this one.  My Dad was a tool and die engineer at Kodak
for 25 years.  He can make a dull bit sharp with an old rusty coarse file
and I can't get one sharp to save my life using a brand new fine diamond
file.  I've gotten better as time goes on but nowhere near the quality that
he produces.

As an aside, you should see the shed he built at their new house.  Every
joint in the building is PERFECT.  No gaps anywhere, everything is perfectly
level, all 90 degree corners (Except the roof). He was probably measuring
his cuts to the hundredth :-)  No nails sticking out anywhere. Definitely a
machinists creation...

Ron

///