Re: Drilling Metal

To: Steven Shipley <shiples@home.com>, Shop-Talk
Subject: Re: Drilling Metal
From: Brian Reynolds <reynolds@ll.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 16:31:21 -0500
Hi Steve,

GET A VISE !!!
Drill bits have a tendency to grab the metal as they break through.
If you are holding the piece that you are drilling when it grabs, you will get
hurt.
If it has sharp edges your hands will get cut.
(softer metal grab more often (brass,copper,plastic))
A sharp bit with a  High Heilix (point) grabs easily, a dull bit doesn't grab as
much on these.
You can buy specialty bits for some applications that have different angled
points
(Regular or High Helix)

Regarding Drill bits,
I have been trying to find out for years how to tell good drill bits.
The only answer I have gotten is to use a well known "High Speed Drill" brand.

Regarding sharpening drill bits,
Machinists have told me that it is an art. Some people can do it, some can't.

There is a section in the "Machinery's Handbook" called Cutting speeds and feeds

MACHINERY'S HANDBOOK   By McCauley, Oberg, Jones, Horton, Ryffel, Heald and
Hussain
    CD-ROM (Only) ISBN: 0-8311-2666-3 $ 89.95
    CD-ROM & "Toolbox-sized" Handbook, 5x7 ISBN: 0-8311-2620-5 $149.95

I have seen this on the web, but haven't checked it out yet.

   SHOPTASK LIBRARY
   VOLUME 12 DRILLS, TAPS AND DIES  $19.95
   http://www.shoptask.com/tools.htm   (800) 343-5775

You might want to check out catalogs just to see whats available

example :
Sizes:  Fractional sizes / Letter Sizes / Number sizes / Metric
Lengths: Jobber lengths /
Material: steel / cobalt/ carbide /
Shank size:

Centering or Spotting Drills