sistering floor joists

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: sistering floor joists
From: Richard Welty <rwelty@suespammers.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 18:09:36 -0500
i'm going to try and keep the prefatory material under control here,
but i need to give a little explanation...

the previous owner of my house defies categorization; some of the
words that might fit are "moron" and "idiot". we knew this going in,
and have spent a lot of time fixing up little (and big) things here
and there.

one of the lovely stunts he pulled was building an (illegal) apartment
in the north end of the house, cutting off a bathroom, the living
room, and the study to make an apartment. this wasn't really big
enough, so he cleverly cut a hole in the hardwood floor in the study
(a big one) for a staircase down to two rooms he built in the
basement.

most all of this got taken care of before we moved in, but there is
one small detail i'm cleaning up right now. our original contractor
framed up new floor joists and subfloor for the whole in the study
floor, and our hardwood flooring guy did a lovely job of invisibly
pathing the floor; you really can't tell the hole was there unless you
knew about it.

however, the contractor didn't double up the last complete 2x12
adjacent to the repaired hole, but did butt a header into it. an
architect friend of ours looked at it and advised me to double up the
2x12. i have got the new joist in place, and am now wondering just how
many screws or nails i should use, at what intervals, to secure the
two 2x12s together. any suggestions, anyone?

thanks,
  richard

///