Re: CB Radios.

To: <LBC286@aol.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Subject: Re: CB Radios.
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 11:29:24 -0500
There is a hybred that does work well though, that's the personal
radio's.  The walkie talkie of old did/does have lousy range.  But
the personal radio is a eunich CB, having a range of typically a
few miles on a good day.  They work quite well for group rides,
as well as on the farm or when hunting and such.  As always,
some are better then others.

<LBC286@aol.com> wrote:

> I mentioned walkie-talkies because they don't require installation,
> and because the original poster mentioned a tour in an Austin Healey.
> To me, a tour in a Healey means hood-down, so a walkie-talkie
> would be fine.  In a closed car, you are right, they don't work.  <...>

I would think that you are right, but the list that I've heard not to use
walkie-talkies was the Miata list.  Also hood (top) down, and they have
said that in convoys of 20 cars, the guys in the front and back can't
hear the guys with the walkie-talkies in the middle (nor can the
walkie-talkie users hear the others) - although the regular CBs
can talk much farther than just the range of the convoy...

///