Re: Pipes for gas heater in shop?

To: flarsen@earthlink.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net, pethier@isd.net
Subject: Re: Pipes for gas heater in shop?
From: John Miller <johnm@ims.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:33:16 -0800 (PST)
> >My local hardware chain advertises black iron pipe for
> >use for natural gas, and galvanized pipe for use for water.
> >
> >Is there any reason for NOT using galvanized pipe for gas?
>
> Yes, there is.  Do not use  galvanized pipe for gas.  The gas and the zinc
>coating
> do not play well together, and dangerous things can happen as a result.  I
>don't
> recall all the details.  You local gas inspector will not pass the job if you
> use galvanized.

Let me respectfully disagree on this.

Code specifically allows galv. pipe for use in gas plumbing.
I have a house on the Oregon Coast and the local mechanical
inspectors REQUIRE galv. piping in all un-heated areas.

The legend surrounding avoiding galv. pipe for gas has to do with
the small amount of flaking that may occur.  This can block the
gas orifice of older appliances.  Modern appliances have filters
to prevent this.  Sediment traps are often used to capture any
debris or moisture buildup.

Galvanized pipe used in some very high pressure systems (airless
paint sprayers) can lead to chemical reaction that is dangerous.

John Miller

Sorry for the late response on this.

///