Re: colored oil - the solution is found !!!

To: JNiolon@uss.com
Subject: Re: colored oil - the solution is found !!!
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:08:33 -0500
Just thought I'd pass this along...

Having recently experienced an oil leak in our 1998 Neon R/T, I checked the shop
manual for details and discovered a procedure to track down oil leaks.  In
addition to doing things like pressurizing the crankcase with shop air, it talks
about adding dyes to different lubricant sources to identify what's leaking.
Must be the same stuff.

Jim

JNiolon@uss.com wrote:

> talked to my buddy that runs the heavy equipment shop here at U.S. Steel.
> I asked him about coloring the oil problem..
> He reached in a cabinet and pulled out a can of Caterpillar (commercial
> product line) Red Dye pt # 9U-5031.
>
> Its used just for this specific purpose... to help us blind folks see the
> oil level on the dipstick.   It's an oil soluble diy used for lube oils ,
> hydraulic oils, transmissions oils and fuels.  Visible in concentrations of
> 1:10,000 or more.
>
> thought some of you might want to know this...
>
> I'm going home and add it to everything at my house that holds oil...
> except the salad dressing bottles and my vitamin E capsules
>
> john

///