Re: 2 post lift for both storage and repair?

To: "Shop-Talk (E-mail)" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 2 post lift for both storage and repair?
From: Bruce Thompson <bandst@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 15:04:18 +1300
Gentlemen,

A few ideas and thoughs on lifts.
When I put a 4 poster in my tyre shop it went over a small shallow pit that
is  "T" shaped and 26" deep. (This was put in with a pre war (WW2) wheel
aligner) The pit is wider than the front of the lift/car under the front wheels
and goes back under the transmission on a front eng/rwd car.
Instead of filling it in, I now use it to step down under vehicles when doing
alignments. It gives me perfect work height underneath when the car is at
working height for the aligner heads, or when doing 'wheels off' suspension
work. There is no need to raise and lower the lift so often. I also have
limited height with high top vans, so the step down pit is great then.

As for the "oops gone too high" thing, I found that a 'cut-out' trip wire
with a micro switch at each end (wired into the "raise"circuit) running along
the ceiling above the lift zone is a good way to prevent crushed car roofs.

My lift has a captive sliding platform between the ramps and I use a squat
bottle jack then axle stands to have the whole thing "wheels free".
It wouldn't be hard to fabricate a sliding platform that was stepped down to
use as a jacking stand.
Mine also has a full width jacking beam, a scissor lift with arms that extend
so you can lift at any central point, or points, out to the outer suspension
arms. This is also a sliding captive unit.

I can think of no better investment for a "car guy" than a lift, whether it's
2 post or 4.

Good Luck,

Bruce.
(NZ)