RE: Lift

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lift
From: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 02:46:50 -0500
Ron,

I use a four post lift from Cytech.  They offer wheels and a
jacking bridge as options.

If you look in Hemmings you will see any number of companies selling
these lifts.  The last time I looked the prices were mostly within
$100 of each other so you decision will mostly be based on features
and dimensions.  Here is a summary of the essential variables:

-  Cable vs. chain to lift the platform.

-  Closed post vs. slotted post.  In the closed post, the ends of
the lifting beams go around the post.  In the slotted post type,
the ends of the beams ride up and down in a slot in the post.
Backyard Buddy uses the closed post type, Cytech uses the open post type.

-  Maximum capacity.  Last I looked, most were either 6 or 7k lbs.
For my cars either one gave my a safety margin of more than 100%.

-  Number placement of the stops.  The lifts that I looked at would only
lock
into place at specific heights.  If you garage height is limited, placement
of the stops is critical.  Try to get drawings of the lifts so that you
can take detailed measurements.  Remember that the lift has to go 2-3"
past the stop position in order to latch into position.  Also remember that
the  top of the deck will usually be about 2" above the stop when lift
is locked at a specific level.  Most manufacturers will do custom stop
placements for a small extra charge.

-  Spacing of the ramps.  This was the deciding factor for me.  Most
of the four post lifts were designed for American cars.  My MG and
Healey have a considerably narrower track, so I chose a lift with
the ramps spaced closer together.

Delivery may be a problem.  Most of the lifts are shipped via
commercial truckers who expect to be able to deliver the lift
to a loading dock where you have a fork lift to move it off
the truck.  The whole thing weighs about 1600 lbs, so plan
ahead for the delivery.

Good luck,

Peter Schauss
Long Island, NY